By the 1950's, it was clear that the expanding city of Toronto was in need of a new city hall. An international competition was held for its design.
Finnish architect Viljo Revell won with his ultra-mod curved office towers and oyster-shaped council chamber. The design was the architect's most famous, and it would become a symbol of Toronto.
Unfortunately, Revell died a year before the project was completed.
Toronto City Hall during construction.
The New City Hall was actually Toronto's fourth. The first was destroyed by fire, the second was temporary, and the city outgrew the third (now known as Old City Hall). Built in 1899, Old City Hall was declared a National Historic Site in 1989, and is now used as a courthouse.
Old City Hall, situated just east of Toronto's new city hall.
Last-minute scrambling, minor flooding and defective locks threatened Toronto City Hall's official opening on September 13, 1965. Guides in blue and gold uniforms worked overtime, some losing their voices, ushering throngs of curious visitors through the $25-million building.
Within the first 4 days alone, there were more than 70,000 visitors...
Click here for a photographic tour of Toronto City Hall.
images: (1) archives.gov.on.ca