Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Barbara Asgary

This was the picture-taking pamphlet given out at the Kodak pavilion.

I was contacted by Barbara Asgary (née Dressler) after the article about me appeared in the Montreal Gazette. One weekday evening earlier this summer, I made my way to her lovely home in Westmount. She still had some old Expo items, and she wanted me to have them.

Young Barbara Dressler was a hostess at the Kodak pavilion. Like many people I've met, she was really interested to know why I love Expo 67 so much. We chatted for a couple of hours about her memories of Expo.

She recalled her orange uniform, with ubiquitous pillbox hat. [I immediately asked her if she still had it. She said that although she had kept it for many years, she did get rid of it about 20 years ago.] She told me that some guides and hostesses from her pavilion married each other after Expo. She also explained that her old colleagues still organize reunions, all these years later [the last one was about 5 years ago].

I would have been content just chatting with Barb, but the cherry on the sundae was the box of Expo artifacts she so generously gave to me. I've been collecting Expo items for 10 years now, and I can attest that these were no run-of-the-mill Expo souvenirs, but ultra-rare mementos that only an Expo 67 employee would have...

Thank you, Barbara!

Nowadays, Barbara is an established artist. Click here to visit her website.

The Kaleidsocope pavilion manager had his own business card.

It was possible to have photos developped at the Kodak pavilion.

Expo's hosts and hostesses had their own newsletter: the Host-Post.

A special pass for Expo's closing ceremonies.

Invitation to a Couscous party, hosted by the Moroccan pavilion.

Special passes for Expo's inauguration (left) and an official reception (right).

images: author's own, from the Barbara Asgary Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment